If you’ve ever been a teenager, and statistically if you’re reading this, you probably already have, there’s no doubt that at some point in your life you’ve been the victim of, or know someone who has been the victim of bullying. There are few feelings worse in this world than the sinking, terrifying, and embarrassing emotions that victims of bullying go through, and it’s a very rare thing for anyone to be able to gather up the strength needed to put an end to their own suffering. For one lone girl however, her breaking point was caught on camera, and the outcome was nothing short of astonishing.
Imagine if you will, being surrounded by a group of your peers who are on foot and in cars as you’re simply trying to make your way home from school, minding your own business. You’ve got no one by your side to back you up, and very few options to protect yourself as each one of them come in for a verbal assault and physically get in your way to stop you in your tracks.
Everything from your shoes, to your clothes, to who you are as a human is being ridiculed and made fun of in front of your face. The taunts, the laughter, the poking and the prodding begin to collect in you like sharp fishing hooks in your skin that can’t be simply pulled out and forgotten. You take a few more steps, only to be stopped once again and stripped of your dignity. You take a few more steps, and another attacker comes in your face and makes you feel worthless.
You’re caged in, you’re trapped, you’ve got nothing to lose at this point, and that’s when you’re instinct to survive, to stop the torture and protect yourself clicks in, and you are left with no other option than to make your stand and protect yourself.
Too many people say that there is “never an excuse for violence,” but if you watch this video closely, we’re sure you’ll agree that what you’re seeing here isn’t violence, this is a girl at her breaking point, yearning to be free of the humiliation and pain she is suffering through, and making her final stand.
Prepare to pick your jaw up off the floor, then want to find this girl and give her a massive hug. (May be somewhat NSFW)
- Over 3.2 million students are victims of bullying each year.
- 1 in 4 teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and will only intervene 4 percent of the time.
- Approximately 160,000 teens skip school every day because of bullying.
- 1 in 7 students in grades K-12 is either a bully or a victim of bullying.
- 56 percent of students have personally witnessed some type of bullying at school.
- Over two-thirds of students believe that schools respond poorly to bullying, with a high percentage of students believing that adult help is infrequent and ineffective.
- 71 percent of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
- 90 percent of 4th through 8th graders report being victims of bullying.
- 1 out 10 students drop out of school because of repeated bullying.
- Harassment and bullying have been linked to 75 percent of school-shooting incidents.
- Physical bullying increases in elementary school, peaks in middle school and declines in high school. Verbal abuse, on the other hand, remains constant.
After seeing the video, and reading this story, is there any question in your mind that this was an act of self-defense?